Monday, April 7, 2014

Chapter 6-Strain Theory


Cultural goals are a big part of society because everyone wants them. These goals consist of things such as possessions, wealth, or prestige. Although everybody wants these things, many people feel that the actually success of attaining these goals is blocked. Robert Merton developed strain theory, which refers to the frustrations people feel. Hard work and higher education are great examples of strain in the theory, because although we enroll ourselves in school and work hard in our jobs to collect experience, it is very frustrating when these norms do not seem to help attain the goals. In this picture is my textbooks and my work apron. I work full time, overtime when I can, and go to school full time. I spend all my time juggling school and work with hopes of getting a “Better Job”. I often get frustrated while I’m juggling all these things, fearing it may not pay off. This is an example of the Strain Theory, and of my success being blocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment