Monday, April 28, 2014

Chapter 13- Social Promotion/Functional Illiteracy

Social promotion and functional illiteracy go hand-in-hand in the education system of today’s world. Social promotion is passing students from one grade to the next even though they have not mastered the basic material. Functional Illiteracy is when graduates have not mastered things that should have been learned way back in grade school. I put a picture of graduation stickers used for graduation invitations at some point. This represents the fact that high school graduation, while a monumental step into the real world, is not taken as seriously as it used to. I remember when I was little hearing “big kids” fretting about if they would graduate or not. When I got to my senior year, it was easier than any other year I had previously encountered. I never heard one student worrying about if they would graduate. The classes got easier and we were passed without accurate comprehension.

No comments:

Post a Comment