Monday, April 28, 2014

Chapter 13- Dysfunction of Religion

Religion is important to almost everybody in different ways. It can bring people together, but it can also rip people apart. Two dysfunctions of religion is using religion as justification for persecution  and using religion as justification for war and terrorism. These dysfunctions mean people kill and hurt people in the name of their religion. I included a picture of a penny with a cross cut out. Although this example is not as extreme, I think it fits into the category of religion dysfunctions perfectly. While at work one day an older man put this penny on the table and asked me if I was going to take it. I responded with “I didn't know it was for me, sorry!” to which he looked me in the eyes and said, “Yeah. You better take it. If you don’t, well, stop drop and roll isn't going to help you where you’re headed honey.” He proceeded to make comments the rest of the time I was waiting on him. I was so offended that this man thinks I’m going to hell if I do not take his penny. He is using his religion to shove his beliefs down my throat and into my brain, all while insulting me.  He is a living example of dysfunctional religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment